Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Attack!

So I think I saw a crow raiding a nest today. While waiting for the bus I heard a starling giving the oddest cry - it sounded almost like a juvenile, but this was clearly an adult bird. I watched it fly in a large circle and land on a roof - next to a crow. Frankly, that part was cool enough - I had heard the bird calling for help in chasing out a crow. (No other starlings ever came, by the way). The starling stood on the roof by the crow for a while, and then backed off to the nearby tree, screeching all the while.

The cool part came when I noticed that the crow was poking its head into a crack behind the eaves trough. Now, I watched it very closely, and it never pulled anything out, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if there was a nest in there. I don't know if it was gulping eggs/nestlings down really quickly, or if it couldn't reach. But either way, it was cool.

No comments: